Keep religion and politics separate: Brinda
Ranchi: The CPI (M) on Sunday said nobody should
mix religion with politics or link any issue to religion as it
was against the nature of secularism.
"I understand that religion should not be mixed with
politics nor any political plank should be linked with
religion as it is against secularism," CPI(M) politburo member
Brinda Karat told a press conference here.
"I am not taking the name of any individual, but CPI(M)
is against religiously leaning politics and linking any
political issue with religion," she said replying to a query
whether yoga guru Ramdev Baba?s campaign against corruption
and bringing back black money without forming a political
party construed to mixing politics with religion.
She, however, refrained from suggesting Ramdev to form a
political party to raise such issues saying "why should I say
(when) each citizen has a right (to form a political party).
But what I say is religion and politics should be kept
To another query she said there was no "Ramdev nor any
swamy" when she spoke on the stage at the invitation of Anna
Hazare during the latter`s token protest in New Delhi over a
"I kept my party’s policies respectfully at the Anna
Hazare`s forum which is India against corruption," She said.
Slamming the Congress for trying to pass a "weak Lokpal
Bill", Brinda said the CPI (M) had suggested some amendments
to the bill as the one brought by government could not curb
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video