Koda beaten up in jail
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu
Koda was on Monday injured after he was assaulted in a Ranchi jail
where he is in judicial custody in connection with a muti-
crore scam, but there were conflicting versions on who beat
Deputy Commissioner K K Soan said the MP was beaten up by
inmates of Birsa Munda Central Jail here, but Koda, who was
admitted to Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences, alleged
that the jail staff had attacked him when he went to "check
the quality of food".
"The inmates of upper division ward insisted that he
take meal with others and when he had gone there, a couple of
prisoners beat him up," Soan said, adding Koda suffered
injuries in his hand.
At the hospital, Koda, who represents Chaibasa
constituency in Lok Sabh, alleged that the jail administration
was behind the incident as he had complained against the
quality of food provided to them.
"When I went to check the quality of food, I was
attacked by jail staff," Koda told reporters.
Koda`s former cabinet colleagues Enos Ekka, Harinarayan
Rai, Kamlesh Singh and Bhanu Pratap Sahi are also lodged with
him in the same ward of the jail.
Earlier, a senior jail official said Koda sprained his
hand after a fall during a scuffle inside the jail.
His wife Gita Koda, MLA, alleged it was a conspiracy
against her husband and demanded an inquiry.
JMM and Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (JVM-Prajatantrik) also
demanded a high-level enquiry into the incident.
"Koda is not an ordinary person, but a former chief
minister of the state and the assault on him is tantamount to
an attack on the democratic set up," JMM leader Sudhir Mahto
Koda was arrested on November 30, 2009 in connection
with the multi-crore scam during his tenure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Mohan Bhagwat's comments on Hindu population are 'outdated': Shiv Sena
- Wow! Google Duo now available in India to make free video calls
- In Goa, Arvind Kejriwal says AAP has no money to fight elections
- Turkish soldier killed in clash with Kurdish militants - security sources
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'