Koda beaten up in jail
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu
Koda was on Monday injured after he was assaulted in a Ranchi jail
where he is in judicial custody in connection with a muti-
crore scam, but there were conflicting versions on who beat
Deputy Commissioner K K Soan said the MP was beaten up by
inmates of Birsa Munda Central Jail here, but Koda, who was
admitted to Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences, alleged
that the jail staff had attacked him when he went to "check
the quality of food".
"The inmates of upper division ward insisted that he
take meal with others and when he had gone there, a couple of
prisoners beat him up," Soan said, adding Koda suffered
injuries in his hand.
At the hospital, Koda, who represents Chaibasa
constituency in Lok Sabh, alleged that the jail administration
was behind the incident as he had complained against the
quality of food provided to them.
"When I went to check the quality of food, I was
attacked by jail staff," Koda told reporters.
Koda`s former cabinet colleagues Enos Ekka, Harinarayan
Rai, Kamlesh Singh and Bhanu Pratap Sahi are also lodged with
him in the same ward of the jail.
Earlier, a senior jail official said Koda sprained his
hand after a fall during a scuffle inside the jail.
His wife Gita Koda, MLA, alleged it was a conspiracy
against her husband and demanded an inquiry.
JMM and Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (JVM-Prajatantrik) also
demanded a high-level enquiry into the incident.
"Koda is not an ordinary person, but a former chief
minister of the state and the assault on him is tantamount to
an attack on the democratic set up," JMM leader Sudhir Mahto
Koda was arrested on November 30, 2009 in connection
with the multi-crore scam during his tenure.
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video