Koda booked for instigating prisoners
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, languishing in prison on charges of money laundering, was Wednesday slapped with yet another charge -- "instigating" inmates in Ranchi Jail, where his hand was fractured during police action, officials said.
The state government has replied to the home ministry`s query on the episode.
Koda, now in hosptal with a fractured hand, was allegedly leading a protest inside the jail Monday to demand better quality food for himself and other inmates.
"We have responded to the home ministry`s query on the Madhu Koda case," state Home Secretary J.B. Tubid said.
He, however, did not divulge the details of the report.
A first information report (FIR) has also been lodged against Koda for "instigating" the prisoners, a police officer said.
Koda has alleged that there was a conspiracy to kill him in jail.
Talking to a local news channel at the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) here, Koda said: "There was a conspiracy to kill me. I was beaten up by jail policemen and when I fell on the ground, they hit me with batons on my chest."
"I was taken to hospital three hours after the incident. I was sitting on dharna due to the poor food being given to prisoners. When I was sitting on the dharna, the policemen started beating me," he added.
Koda also said he had lodged a complaint against jail officials through his wife Geeta, who is a state legislator, but it was not converted into an FIR.
Earlier Wednesday, a delegation led by union Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahay, the Lok Sabha member from Ranchi, which also included Koda`s wife, met Governor Syed Ahmad and sought a probe into the incident.
Chief Minister Arjun Munda has announced a probe by a retired judge.
Koda has been in jail since November 2009 in a Rs.4,000 crore money laundering scam. He and four former ministers of his cabinet are kept in a VIP cell of the jail here.
He is the Lok Sabha member from Singhbhum. An Independent member of the state assembly, he was the chief minister September 2006-August 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win