Koda exempted from disclosing his assets by LS Spe
New Delhi: Former Jharkhand chief minister and MP Madhu Koda, who is under investigation on corruption and other charges, has been exempted by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar from declaring his assets, which is mandatory under the House rules.
The exemption was given on a request by Koda to the Speaker but the grounds of request have not been made public.
The information, made public under the Right to Information Act, also revealed that besides Koda, Congress MP from Maharajganj Uttar Pradesh Harsh Vardhan and Independent MP Putul Kumari from Banka Bihar have also not disclosed details of their assets and liabilities to Lok Sabha.
"The rules make the Register of Assets and Liabilities of elected members as confidential. As on April 1, 2013, three members of Lok Sabha (Harsh Vardhan, Madhu Koda and Putul Kumari) have not disclosed details of their assets and liabilities to Lok Sabha.
"Madhu Koda, MP has been exempted from disclosing his assets and liabilities by Speaker on a request made by him in this regard," said an RTI response from Lok Sabha Secretariat.
Koda is under investigation of the CBI, Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax department for cases of alleged corruption, owning disproportionate assets and money laundering while he was Chief Minister of Jharkhand from September 2006 to August 2008.
A similar response from the Rajya Sabha said that five of its members including Ajay Sancheti of BJP, Darshan Singh Yadav of Samajwadi Party, Munquad Ali of BSP, Narendra Budania and Pradeep Kumar Balmuchu of Congress have also not furnished their assets and liabilities details even after the mandatory deadline passed last year.
Both the Houses have not initiated any action against the MPs who have not disclosed their assets and liabilities within the deadline mandated under the rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border