Koda files police complaint, goes on fast
Ranchi: Jailed former Jharkhand chief
minister Madhu Koda on Tuesday refused to eat till demands of
prisoners for proper food were looked into and filed a police
complaint that he suffered fracture in his hand when he was
assaulted in the high-security jail here.
His MLA wife Gita handed over the complaint to the Sadar
police station around 10.30 last night charging jail
authorities with the assault, a police official said.
Koda, who was admitted to the Rajendra Institute of
Medical Sciences yesterday where an X-ray ascertained the
fracture in his right hand, would remain under observation for
a few days, its director Tuli Mahto said.
He also went on a fast demanding a judicial inquiry into
yesterday`s incident and better food for prisoners.
When Jharkhand Assembly Speaker C P Singh went to inquire
his health, the former chief minister told him in the presence
of the media, "I have not eaten since yesterday.
"I will end the fast after authorities accept the demand
for a judicial inquiry into yesterday`s incident and assure
better food for general prisoners."
Koda said about 30 prisoners, including his former
Cabinet colleagues Enos Ekka and Harinaryan Rai, were also
continuing a dharna inside the Birsa Munda Central Jail.
Showing Singh a thick scar across his chest, he claimed
he was beaten up with batons by jail guards.
"Being the Speaker, I bring to your notice the poor
quality of rice and watery daal served to prisoners of the
general ward," he said.
Asked what he was doing in the general ward, Koda said,
"As a representative of the people, it is my duty to demand
better quality food and other benefits for them under the jail
The district administration and jail officials have
denied the allegations.
Asked whether prisoners were still on fast as claimed by
Koda, an official said Jail Superintendent Dilip Pradhan had
instructed them not to speak to the media.
Pradhan`s mobile was inaccessible.
Earlier, Gita alleged that the district administration
was trying to hush up the matter.
The district administration and prison officials claimed
Koda was injured when other prisoners assaulted him following
a dispute over the quality of food.
Koda is in judicial custody since November 30, 2009 in
connection with a multi-crore scam unearthed during his
23-month tenure as chief minister between 2006 and 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi