Koda to appeal against Rs.1,200 crore tax demand
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, who has been in jail since 2009 for his alleged involvement in graft, will appeal against the income tax order slapping Rs.1,200 crore tax against him, his wife said.
"We do not agree with the assessment... we will appeal against the order," Geeta Koda said over the phone. "This is a one-sided move. We have not been asked to present our side."
The assessment wing of the income tax department found that Koda had amassed assets worth Rs.3,300 crore. He has been asked to deposit Rs.1,200 crore in taxes within a month. The one month period of expire on Jan 31.
As per law, Koda can appeal to the income tax commissioner court against the order. According to Geeta Koda, there is no decision yet to move the commissioner`s court or the high court. "Our lawyers will decide on the appeal," she said.
The multi-million graft and money laundering scam surfaced in 2009 when the income tax and Enforcement Directorate (ED) raided 69 places in the country, including Koda`s homes. Some reports had pegged the scam at Rs.4,000 crore and some termed it worth Rs.2,500 crore. Now, the latest assessment puts the amount at Rs.3,300 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what