Koda to appeal against Rs.1,200 crore tax demand
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, who has been in jail since 2009 for his alleged involvement in graft, will appeal against the income tax order slapping Rs.1,200 crore tax against him, his wife said.
"We do not agree with the assessment... we will appeal against the order," Geeta Koda said over the phone. "This is a one-sided move. We have not been asked to present our side."
The assessment wing of the income tax department found that Koda had amassed assets worth Rs.3,300 crore. He has been asked to deposit Rs.1,200 crore in taxes within a month. The one month period of expire on Jan 31.
As per law, Koda can appeal to the income tax commissioner court against the order. According to Geeta Koda, there is no decision yet to move the commissioner`s court or the high court. "Our lawyers will decide on the appeal," she said.
The multi-million graft and money laundering scam surfaced in 2009 when the income tax and Enforcement Directorate (ED) raided 69 places in the country, including Koda`s homes. Some reports had pegged the scam at Rs.4,000 crore and some termed it worth Rs.2,500 crore. Now, the latest assessment puts the amount at Rs.3,300 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- WATCH: HISTORIC! Neeraj Chopra sets U-20 Javelin record, becomes first Indian world champion in athletics
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!