Koda told to pay Rs 1,200 crore as income tax dues
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, who is in jail since 2009, has been asked by the Income Tax (IT) department to deposit Rs 1,200 crore dues, a source in IT department said Monday.
"The assessment wing of IT department found that Koda amassed assets worth of Rs 3,300 crore. He has been asked to deposit income tax of Rs 1,200 crore," said the source.
The multi-million rupee money laundering scam surfaced in 2009 when the IT department and the Enforcement Directorate raided 69 places across the country, including houses of Koda.
The sources said that of his Rs 3,300 crore illegal assets, Koda invested nearly Rs 400 crore in Dubai.
Koda could appeal to the Income Tax commissioner against the notice demanding tax dues, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan