Koda waived off aide`s Rs 10 crore power bill
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, who is in jail in a graft case, allegedly waived off Rs 10 crore electricity bill of a private cement factory which was owned by one his close associates, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) source said on Friday.
The matter came to light while the CBI was conducting investigations into contracts awarded for rural electrification and bills waived off by the Jharkhand State Electricity Board (JSEB) during Koda`s regime from September 2006 to August 2008.
"We have come across many misdoings that took place in power and mines department during Koda`s regime. We came across a case of waiving off Rs 10 crore electricity bills of a cement factory owned by a close associate of Koda," a CBI source told a news agency.
According to the source, the JSEB waived off Rs 10 crore of an ailing cement factory reportedly acquired by Vinod Sinha. Koda allegedly waived off the bill in his capacity as in-charge of power.
Sinha is also in jail for more than eight months.
"It is surprising that nearly Rs 80 crore electricity bills of different companies, including Rs 10 crore of a cement factory, have been waived off by different governments in the last 10 years. This, despite the fact that the JSEB every year suffers loss of more than Rs 1,000 crore," said an official of the JSEB.
Koda was arrested in November 2009 in a graft case. He is also at centre of a Rs 2,500 crore money laundering scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India