Labourers selling MGNREGA cheques in Jharkhand
Lohardaga (Jharkhand): In the absence of
banking services in rural Jharkhand, some labourers had sold
their MGNREGA cheques to `middlemen` for a discount to get the
money on the spot, state Chief Secretary Ashok Kumar Singh
said on Wednesday.
"Recently I went to Chatra and learnt that a MGNREGA
labourer had sold his Rs 100 cheque to get Rs 70," Singh said
at a programme in the presence of RBI Governor D Subbarao.
Subbarao, who demonstrated the working of a machine that
would be carried by agents to facilitate withdrawal and
deposit of money in banks, promised that banking services
would reach the customers` doorsteps.
In order to stop middlemen from siphoning off wages
earned by labourers under MNREGA, the government had last year
had facilitated opening of bank accounts for the
beneficiaries. However, banking service in rural Jharkhand is
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!