Labourers selling MGNREGA cheques in Jharkhand
Lohardaga (Jharkhand): In the absence of
banking services in rural Jharkhand, some labourers had sold
their MGNREGA cheques to `middlemen` for a discount to get the
money on the spot, state Chief Secretary Ashok Kumar Singh
said on Wednesday.
"Recently I went to Chatra and learnt that a MGNREGA
labourer had sold his Rs 100 cheque to get Rs 70," Singh said
at a programme in the presence of RBI Governor D Subbarao.
Subbarao, who demonstrated the working of a machine that
would be carried by agents to facilitate withdrawal and
deposit of money in banks, promised that banking services
would reach the customers` doorsteps.
In order to stop middlemen from siphoning off wages
earned by labourers under MNREGA, the government had last year
had facilitated opening of bank accounts for the
beneficiaries. However, banking service in rural Jharkhand is
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family