Left wing extremism scares officials at block levels in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Jharkhand is facing a major problem in execution of developmental projects as many officials posted at the block level "abdicate" offices for fear of left wing extremism (LWE).
"During interaction with Block Development Officers (BDOs)I was informed that officials abdicate offices either out of fear of them or in the name of Maoists," Chief Secretary R S Sharma said on Thursday.
"Abdicating offices will not help, and at no cost one should abdicate office because the bad elements will dominate," Sharma told a press conference here.
The district deputy commissioners and superintendents of police were directed to ensure security if any official has specific problem, the chief secretary said.
The state headquarters was monitoring the impediments, he said.
Recognising that the LWE has been a big problem in the developmental process and that the state was not in a `denial mode`, he said contractors were not turning up for road construction in the naxal-infested Latehar district.
"We have called them (contractors) and assured security so that they can ensure construction work because connectivity is the main thing to have access to mitigate the problem (extremism)," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt