Lucas Tete`s body laid to rest
Simdega: The body of Bihar
policeman Lucas Tete, who was abducted and killed by the
Maoists was laid to rest in his native Porhatali village in
The body of Tete was brought to his village yesterday and
was laid to rest after district police chief Anoop Birtharay a
large number of villagers, who are of Kharia tribal community
to which Tete belonged paid their last respects.
"We are innocents, therefore we have become the target,"
said a sobbing Pyari, Tete’s wife.
Tete’s daughter Angela said "My father fought in the
interest of the nation and had become a martyr."
"I am proud of him," she said.
Meanwhile, the people of Porhatoli village in Simdega
district today expressed anger over the Maoists killing of
tribal people and rejected their claim of fighting for their
"It is all lies about the Maoists fighting for the cause
of the poor tribals. We have been the victims of naxal
violence for the last nearly a decade because of our
innocence," Peter Tete, the cousin of Lucas Tete said.
"Had he been a non-tribal, the Maoists would not have
shot him dead first," he said and reminded how Jharkhand
Special Branch officer Francis Induwar, a tribal, had been
killed by the Maoists in October last year.
Incidentally, both Tete and Induwar belonged to bordering
tribal-dominated districts of Khunti and Simdega.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference