Madhu Koda aide brought back to India, held
New Delhi: A close associate of former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda was on Tuesday night brought back here from Indonesia by Indian agencies after the fugitive businessman was detained there following an Interpol notice against him for alleged money laundering charges.
A two-member team of Enforcement Directorate (ED) accompanied Anil Bastawde and he was taken into custody when he landed at the airport here.
Sources said he would be sent to Jharkhand`s capital Ranchi tomorrow for production in a special Prevention of Money laundering Act (PMLA) court.
CBI had earlier told Enforcement Directorate (ED) about the detention of Bastawade by Indonesian enforcement agencies.
CBI had issued a Red Corner Notice (RCN) against him on the request of ED which is probing charges of alleged money laundering against the businessman.
ED wants the custody of 48-year-old businessman to probe the alleged financial irregularities conducted by Koda during his tenure as Chief Minister of the mineral-rich state under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
Koda is at present jailed in Ranchi.
ED suspects Bastawade has made alleged illegal investments in Dubai and other foreign locations on behalf of Koda and his other associates.
The agency has named him in its chargesheet filed last year in the case for his alleged role in purchasing properties in the UAE from "criminal proceeds" generated by "illegal" activities during the tenure of Koda as chief minister from September 2006 to August 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble