Madhu Koda released from jail on provisional bail
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda, who received a three-week provisional bail from the Jharkhand High Court, was on Thursday released from jail.
"He was released around 1:00 pm after he produced all relevant documents," a jail official said here.
Koda, who was given bail on April 16 for the treatment of his ailing mother, could not be released yesterday as his lawyers failed to produce the necessary papers.
As he stepped out of jail after 40 months and 18 days, he was greeted by his wife, Gita, and supporters from his Chaibasa Lok Sabha Constituency.
Koda then drove with his wife to the hospital where his mother was admitted.
An independent MLA, he headed the UPA government supported by the Congress, the RJD and the JMM between 2006 and 2008 in the state.
He was arrested on November 30, 2009, after the Enforcement Directorate and the Income Tax department charged him and his aides with money laundering and illegal investments apart from involvement in other cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets