Maoist attack: Three policemen killed in Jharkhand
Latehar: Three policemen,
including an assistant sub-inspector, were on Wednesday killed and
two others injured when Maoists attacked their jeep near
Chetag village in Latehar district of Jharkhand.
"Maoists first triggered a landmine blast and opened fire
on the police jeep, killing three policemen and wounding two
others," Director General of Police G S Rath said.
One of them was an ASI of the district police, he said.
The injured were referred to Rajendra Institute of
Medical Sciences in Ranchi where the condition of one of the
injured was serious, he said.
The encounter broke out at Chetag, about 2.5 km from
Balumath police station, when Maoists challenged the police
who were on their way to Dhadu village near the National
Highway to investigate a case, he added.
Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said
that he had sent a chowkidar to Dhadu when the police got
information that a person allegedly committed suicide.
"I asked the chowkidar to go there, but the ASI and other
policemen went along," he said.
This was the third attack on the police by Maoists in
On December 3 they attacked Independent MP Inder Singh
Namdhari`s convoy, killing ten policemen and a child. The MP,
who escaped the attack unharmed was returning to Medininagar
from Latehar when the incident took place.
On January 21, Maoist guerrillas blew up an anti-landmine
vehicle, killing 13 police personnel in neighbouring Garhwa
The police have stepped up anti-Maoist operations in
Latehar, Garhwa and Palamau districts. They found a huge
quantity of explosives and destroyed two bunkers in Garhwa and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble