Maoist attack: Three policemen killed in Jharkhand
Latehar: Three policemen,
including an assistant sub-inspector, were on Wednesday killed and
two others injured when Maoists attacked their jeep near
Chetag village in Latehar district of Jharkhand.
"Maoists first triggered a landmine blast and opened fire
on the police jeep, killing three policemen and wounding two
others," Director General of Police G S Rath said.
One of them was an ASI of the district police, he said.
The injured were referred to Rajendra Institute of
Medical Sciences in Ranchi where the condition of one of the
injured was serious, he said.
The encounter broke out at Chetag, about 2.5 km from
Balumath police station, when Maoists challenged the police
who were on their way to Dhadu village near the National
Highway to investigate a case, he added.
Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said
that he had sent a chowkidar to Dhadu when the police got
information that a person allegedly committed suicide.
"I asked the chowkidar to go there, but the ASI and other
policemen went along," he said.
This was the third attack on the police by Maoists in
On December 3 they attacked Independent MP Inder Singh
Namdhari`s convoy, killing ten policemen and a child. The MP,
who escaped the attack unharmed was returning to Medininagar
from Latehar when the incident took place.
On January 21, Maoist guerrillas blew up an anti-landmine
vehicle, killing 13 police personnel in neighbouring Garhwa
The police have stepped up anti-Maoist operations in
Latehar, Garhwa and Palamau districts. They found a huge
quantity of explosives and destroyed two bunkers in Garhwa and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured