Maoist attack: Three policemen killed in Jharkhand
Latehar: Three policemen,
including an assistant sub-inspector, were on Wednesday killed and
two others injured when Maoists attacked their jeep near
Chetag village in Latehar district of Jharkhand.
"Maoists first triggered a landmine blast and opened fire
on the police jeep, killing three policemen and wounding two
others," Director General of Police G S Rath said.
One of them was an ASI of the district police, he said.
The injured were referred to Rajendra Institute of
Medical Sciences in Ranchi where the condition of one of the
injured was serious, he said.
The encounter broke out at Chetag, about 2.5 km from
Balumath police station, when Maoists challenged the police
who were on their way to Dhadu village near the National
Highway to investigate a case, he added.
Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said
that he had sent a chowkidar to Dhadu when the police got
information that a person allegedly committed suicide.
"I asked the chowkidar to go there, but the ASI and other
policemen went along," he said.
This was the third attack on the police by Maoists in
On December 3 they attacked Independent MP Inder Singh
Namdhari`s convoy, killing ten policemen and a child. The MP,
who escaped the attack unharmed was returning to Medininagar
from Latehar when the incident took place.
On January 21, Maoist guerrillas blew up an anti-landmine
vehicle, killing 13 police personnel in neighbouring Garhwa
The police have stepped up anti-Maoist operations in
Latehar, Garhwa and Palamau districts. They found a huge
quantity of explosives and destroyed two bunkers in Garhwa and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Sheena Bora murder case: Court asks CBI to begin arguments on framing of charges
- 21kg tumor removed from 61-year-old man at Gurgaon hospital
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion
- Bomb disposal squad deployed in central England after arrests