Maoist attack: Three policemen killed in Jharkhand
Latehar: Three policemen,
including an assistant sub-inspector, were on Wednesday killed and
two others injured when Maoists attacked their jeep near
Chetag village in Latehar district of Jharkhand.
"Maoists first triggered a landmine blast and opened fire
on the police jeep, killing three policemen and wounding two
others," Director General of Police G S Rath said.
One of them was an ASI of the district police, he said.
The injured were referred to Rajendra Institute of
Medical Sciences in Ranchi where the condition of one of the
injured was serious, he said.
The encounter broke out at Chetag, about 2.5 km from
Balumath police station, when Maoists challenged the police
who were on their way to Dhadu village near the National
Highway to investigate a case, he added.
Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar said
that he had sent a chowkidar to Dhadu when the police got
information that a person allegedly committed suicide.
"I asked the chowkidar to go there, but the ASI and other
policemen went along," he said.
This was the third attack on the police by Maoists in
On December 3 they attacked Independent MP Inder Singh
Namdhari`s convoy, killing ten policemen and a child. The MP,
who escaped the attack unharmed was returning to Medininagar
from Latehar when the incident took place.
On January 21, Maoist guerrillas blew up an anti-landmine
vehicle, killing 13 police personnel in neighbouring Garhwa
The police have stepped up anti-Maoist operations in
Latehar, Garhwa and Palamau districts. They found a huge
quantity of explosives and destroyed two bunkers in Garhwa and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings