Maoist bandh fails to evoke response in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Barring Maoist pockets on the borders
with Orissa, the 24-hour shutdown in two states called by the
CPI (Maoist) on Thusday failed to evoke response in Jharkhand.
The shutdown partially affected only in the villages
adjoining Saranda forest while there was mixed response in
rural areas of Gumla district, according to police sources.
Life in all other districts was normal, the sources said.
The shutdown was called reportedly by the CPI (Maoist?s)
Jharkhand Regional Committee spokesman Samarjee against the
proposed visit by Union Rural Development Minister Jairam
Ramesh and the CRPF’s director general of Saranda forest this
Ramesh had visited a couple of districts, including Gumla,
last month and told the media that extremism could be
controlled through development of rural areas.
After a special joint anti-Maoist operation in Saranda
forest from July 31, the Jharkhand and the CRPF personnel had
smashed several rebel bunkers and `disturbed` the Eastern
Regional Bureau Headquarters of the CPI (Maoist), which was
guiding the Maoist movement in all the eastern states,
according to a police communiqué issued in August.
The police had also destroyed the rebels supply lines and
information network during that operation.
Meanwhile, a report from Orissa said the Maoist shutdown
evoked partial response in remote villages and semi urban
places of Sundargarh district bordering Jharkhand.
Shops remained closed and plying of buses to remote
areas was disrupted while movement of trucks and heavy
vehicles on NH-215 was also restricted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report