Maoist landmines defused in Jharkhand forests
Jamshedpur: Day after a CoBRA battalion jawan was killed in an encounter in Naxal-hit West Singhbhum district, security personnel Wednesday recovered as many as seven powerful landmines and destroyed a temporary Maoist camp in Shankara during a search operation.
The security personnel comprising of CRPF and district armed police force recovered seven powerful landmines from the area and destroyed a camp during the search operation today, said DIG (Kolhan) Arun Kumar Singh.
He said that all the landmines have been defused in the jungle.
Earlier on Tuesday, a COBRA battalion jawan Santosh Kumar Singh who suffered an injury in the upper chest in the encounter and air-lifted to Ranchi, had succumbed to his injuries at Apollo Hospital.
The encounter, which had began at 9 am during the routine long-range patrolling in Naxal-affected areas of the district, lasted till around 4.30 pm yesterday.
The security personnel, who have camped in the jungle last night, resumed their search operation since morning today, leading them to recover the explosives, planted to target them.
Besides, some daily use items and Naxal literature were also recovered.
However, it could not be ascertained as yet whether anyone from the rival camp sustained casualty in the encounter as the search team led by the senior police officer was yet to return, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling