Maoist landmines defused in Jharkhand forests
Jamshedpur: Day after a CoBRA battalion jawan was killed in an encounter in Naxal-hit West Singhbhum district, security personnel Wednesday recovered as many as seven powerful landmines and destroyed a temporary Maoist camp in Shankara during a search operation.
The security personnel comprising of CRPF and district armed police force recovered seven powerful landmines from the area and destroyed a camp during the search operation today, said DIG (Kolhan) Arun Kumar Singh.
He said that all the landmines have been defused in the jungle.
Earlier on Tuesday, a COBRA battalion jawan Santosh Kumar Singh who suffered an injury in the upper chest in the encounter and air-lifted to Ranchi, had succumbed to his injuries at Apollo Hospital.
The encounter, which had began at 9 am during the routine long-range patrolling in Naxal-affected areas of the district, lasted till around 4.30 pm yesterday.
The security personnel, who have camped in the jungle last night, resumed their search operation since morning today, leading them to recover the explosives, planted to target them.
Besides, some daily use items and Naxal literature were also recovered.
However, it could not be ascertained as yet whether anyone from the rival camp sustained casualty in the encounter as the search team led by the senior police officer was yet to return, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow