Maoist landmines defused in Jharkhand forests
Jamshedpur: Day after a CoBRA battalion jawan was killed in an encounter in Naxal-hit West Singhbhum district, security personnel Wednesday recovered as many as seven powerful landmines and destroyed a temporary Maoist camp in Shankara during a search operation.
The security personnel comprising of CRPF and district armed police force recovered seven powerful landmines from the area and destroyed a camp during the search operation today, said DIG (Kolhan) Arun Kumar Singh.
He said that all the landmines have been defused in the jungle.
Earlier on Tuesday, a COBRA battalion jawan Santosh Kumar Singh who suffered an injury in the upper chest in the encounter and air-lifted to Ranchi, had succumbed to his injuries at Apollo Hospital.
The encounter, which had began at 9 am during the routine long-range patrolling in Naxal-affected areas of the district, lasted till around 4.30 pm yesterday.
The security personnel, who have camped in the jungle last night, resumed their search operation since morning today, leading them to recover the explosives, planted to target them.
Besides, some daily use items and Naxal literature were also recovered.
However, it could not be ascertained as yet whether anyone from the rival camp sustained casualty in the encounter as the search team led by the senior police officer was yet to return, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you