Maoist landmines defused in Jharkhand forests
Jamshedpur: Day after a CoBRA battalion jawan was killed in an encounter in Naxal-hit West Singhbhum district, security personnel Wednesday recovered as many as seven powerful landmines and destroyed a temporary Maoist camp in Shankara during a search operation.
The security personnel comprising of CRPF and district armed police force recovered seven powerful landmines from the area and destroyed a camp during the search operation today, said DIG (Kolhan) Arun Kumar Singh.
He said that all the landmines have been defused in the jungle.
Earlier on Tuesday, a COBRA battalion jawan Santosh Kumar Singh who suffered an injury in the upper chest in the encounter and air-lifted to Ranchi, had succumbed to his injuries at Apollo Hospital.
The encounter, which had began at 9 am during the routine long-range patrolling in Naxal-affected areas of the district, lasted till around 4.30 pm yesterday.
The security personnel, who have camped in the jungle last night, resumed their search operation since morning today, leading them to recover the explosives, planted to target them.
Besides, some daily use items and Naxal literature were also recovered.
However, it could not be ascertained as yet whether anyone from the rival camp sustained casualty in the encounter as the search team led by the senior police officer was yet to return, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- French President Francois Hollande rejects opposition calls to harden terror laws
- Apple talks services amid drop in iPhone sales, profit
- Apple quarterly profit slides 27% to $7.8 billion
- Hillary Clinton makes history as first woman White House nominee
- Venezuela government seeks to ban opposition over recall 'fraud'