Maoist operative held in Jhakhand
Jamshedpur: A CPI(Maoist) operative was arrested during a routine check of vehicles in the Golmuri area here, police said on Tuesday.
Ujjal Sarkar, a resident of Kotwali police station in the Jalpaiguri of West Bengal, was arrested during a routine check of vehicles last night, Senior Superintendent of Police, A V Homkar told reporters.
In the course of interrogation, Homkar said, Sarkar admitted he was an active member of the ultra outfit and was a member of the Kanu Munda squad operating in the Ghatsila sub-division bordering West Bengal.
The two-wheeler, which Sarkar was driving when he was arrested, was found to be a stolen one, the SSP said.
Sarkar was wanted in several cases of extremist activities in Shyamsunderpur, Chakulia and MGM police stations in East Singhbhum district and had been to jail in the past, police said.
Asked about the involvement of Maoists in illegal mining of precious stones (gems) in the Naxal-hit Ghorabandha area, Homkar said police was aware of it and had initiated adequate steps to curb such activities.
Only deploying of police force would not serve the purpose, but villagers need to be aware and not fall in the trap of rebels, he said.
To a query about alleged Maoists-police nexus in the illegal mining, the SSP added no concrete evidence was yet found to establish the connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list