Maoist violence down by 35 per cent in Jharkhand: DGP
Hazaribagh: Maoist violence in Jharkhand has gone down by 35 per cent compared to that in the past two years, DGP Rajeev Kumar said on Saturday.
"The incidents of Maoist activities have gone down by 35 per cent in comparison to those in 2012 and 2013 due to strong measures taken this year," Kumar told reporters here.
Barring Dumka where Maoists ultras blew up a police vehicle on April 24 killing five police and polling personnel as the district administration allegedly ignored instructions, the DGP said no other violent incident reported in the state this year.
He added that the police officials were asked to maintain vigilant on naxal activities.
"I have given specific instructions to all the SPs to crush naxalites and other rebel groups and prevent them from raising extortion from contractors and engineers. Developmental projects have started in full swing," he said.
If operations against the Maoists were carried out in a determined manner, he said, the rebels would become economically weak, which would help the police contain extremism successfully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'