Maoists attack cops, blast rail tracks in Jharkhand
Ranchi: One policeman was killed and 12 were injured when Maoist rebels ambushed their mini-bus in Jharkhand Tuesday night. The rebels launched another attack early Wednesday, blasting a railway track and a bridge, police said.
The policemen were attacked near Topchachi police station of Dhanbad district, around 210 km from Ranchi, a police spokesperson told reporters.
The injured policemen have been admitted to hospital and condition of two are said to be critical.
Early Wednesday, Maoists blasted a railway track between Taitulmuri and Nisitpur railway stations under Dhanbad railway division.
The rebels blasted both the up and down tracks. More than one dozen trains were affected due to the blast. Repair work has started.
The Maoists also blasted a bridge near Chhatapur village of Giridih district that connects Giridih with Dhanbad.
The rebels have called a shutdown Wednesday in five states to protest the conviction of five Maoist guerrillas by a Uttar Pradesh court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest