Maoists derail train in Jharkhand, 2 dead
Ranchi: Two passengers were killed and over 47 others injured when eight bogies of the Tata-Bilaspur passenger train derailed after Maoists blew up railway tracks on Thursday night in Jharkhand`s West Singhbhum district.
Railway minister Mamata Banerjee said that the train comprised 10 coaches of which five derailed and three toppled over as also the engine.
She said two bodies were found in a overturned bogie, while 47 passengers were injured. Six passengers were trapped in another capsized bogie.
Three passengers have been rescued so far as rescuers were using gas cutters to gain entry to the coaches, three of which were badly damaged, Banerjee said.
The blast occurred between Manohar and Posoita railway stations just in front of the engine of the train, some 20 minutes after a pilot engine had passed.
Banerjee said, "Maoists blew up a portion of a railway track which caused the derailment. There were also three to four blasts nearby to deter rescuers."
Superintendent of police (rail) A B Homker said in Ranchi, "Railway staff and rescue teams have reached the spot, and are cutting open the bogies to rescue the injured passengers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof