Maoists did not respond to unconditional talks offer: Jairam Ramesh
Basariakala: The Maoists have been silent on the offer of unconditional talks by the Centre because they did not believe in democracy, union minister Jairam Ramesh said on Monday.
"We have offered dialogue several times asking them to join the mainstream. Even P Chidambaram asked them to accept unconditional talks," Ramesh, Union Rural Development told a public meeting in this Maoist-affected village.
"It is regrettable that there is no response, but not surprisingly as they don’t believe in democracy, constitution, elections, but for us all these things are on top, and it is our responsibility to protect them," he said.
"Now it is a psychological battle and we want your cooperation to win this completely. Without you we can’t get success," he told villagers, adding that he had visited 36 out of 82-naxal affected districts across nine states.
Development funds were being sent by the Centre and it was the responsibility of the state governments to spend them with transparency, accountability, and in totally, he said.
Stating that Maoists were into extortion forgetting ideology, he urged political parties not to leave any space for them to exploit the poor and tribals.
He said that some panchayats of Palamau district would be considered for inclusion in the Saryu Action Plan (SAP), which now comprised blocks of neighbouring Garhwa and Latehar districts.
"I will speak to Chief Minister Arjun Munda for inclusion of some areas in the SAP. And, if the state sends a proposal, I will take a decision constructively," Ramesh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof