Maoists did not respond to unconditional talks offer: Jairam Ramesh
Basariakala: The Maoists have been silent on the offer of unconditional talks by the Centre because they did not believe in democracy, union minister Jairam Ramesh said on Monday.
"We have offered dialogue several times asking them to join the mainstream. Even P Chidambaram asked them to accept unconditional talks," Ramesh, Union Rural Development told a public meeting in this Maoist-affected village.
"It is regrettable that there is no response, but not surprisingly as they don’t believe in democracy, constitution, elections, but for us all these things are on top, and it is our responsibility to protect them," he said.
"Now it is a psychological battle and we want your cooperation to win this completely. Without you we can’t get success," he told villagers, adding that he had visited 36 out of 82-naxal affected districts across nine states.
Development funds were being sent by the Centre and it was the responsibility of the state governments to spend them with transparency, accountability, and in totally, he said.
Stating that Maoists were into extortion forgetting ideology, he urged political parties not to leave any space for them to exploit the poor and tribals.
He said that some panchayats of Palamau district would be considered for inclusion in the Saryu Action Plan (SAP), which now comprised blocks of neighbouring Garhwa and Latehar districts.
"I will speak to Chief Minister Arjun Munda for inclusion of some areas in the SAP. And, if the state sends a proposal, I will take a decision constructively," Ramesh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India