Maoists did not respond to unconditional talks offer: Jairam Ramesh
Basariakala: The Maoists have been silent on the offer of unconditional talks by the Centre because they did not believe in democracy, union minister Jairam Ramesh said on Monday.
"We have offered dialogue several times asking them to join the mainstream. Even P Chidambaram asked them to accept unconditional talks," Ramesh, Union Rural Development told a public meeting in this Maoist-affected village.
"It is regrettable that there is no response, but not surprisingly as they don’t believe in democracy, constitution, elections, but for us all these things are on top, and it is our responsibility to protect them," he said.
"Now it is a psychological battle and we want your cooperation to win this completely. Without you we can’t get success," he told villagers, adding that he had visited 36 out of 82-naxal affected districts across nine states.
Development funds were being sent by the Centre and it was the responsibility of the state governments to spend them with transparency, accountability, and in totally, he said.
Stating that Maoists were into extortion forgetting ideology, he urged political parties not to leave any space for them to exploit the poor and tribals.
He said that some panchayats of Palamau district would be considered for inclusion in the Saryu Action Plan (SAP), which now comprised blocks of neighbouring Garhwa and Latehar districts.
"I will speak to Chief Minister Arjun Munda for inclusion of some areas in the SAP. And, if the state sends a proposal, I will take a decision constructively," Ramesh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video