Maoists getting help from insurgent groups beyond borders: DGP
Ranchi: Maoists have been getting help, support and cooperation from insurgent groups operating on foreign soil, Jharkhand Police Chief G S Rath said on Friday.
"The Maoists are getting help, cooperation and support from the groups who are fighting against Indian government stationed in foreign soils, particularly Myanmar and Bangladesh," Rath told PTI here.
"We have recently recovered foreign-made weapons in Hazaribagh, which showed their link with foreign groups as far as arms and weapons are concerned," the DGP said.
Denying that he had ever said terrorists were behind the gruesome incident Maoists perpetrated during Monday’s encounter in Latehar, Rath claimed he had only said that the recent recoveries made in the state by the police had showed the rebels link with foreign insurgents.
The rebels had stuffed IEDs in the stomach of two dead police personnel with an aim to inflict heavy casualties on the police in Latehar where 10 security men and four villagers died. While one body had blown up, IED in another body was found during post mortem yesterday.
"Recently, the police have recovered foreign weapons in Hazaribagh," he said referring to the haul of foreign armoury on August 29 last year, which the National Investigation Agency has taken over to probe apparently Maoist links with foreign insurgency.
In Hazaribagh the police had recovered Colt M-16 used by the US army with 14 ammunition of 5.56 mm live cartridges, besides a Rs four lakh worth bullet-proof jacket, manufactured by Armour Speed Limited of Manchester in the United Kingdom and a 9mm Italian-made pistol.
The police had then suspected the weapons could have found their way through North-East from Myanmar, prompting NIA to take over the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy