Maoists kill abducted cop after govt refuses to free Ghandy
Ranchi: Police officer Francis Enduwar, abducted by Maoists five days ago, has been killed in Jharkhand, a senior police official said on Tuesday.
The Maoists had demanded that three of their leaders, including Kobad Ghandy, be released in exchange for Enduwar.
The news of Enduwar`s killing was confirmed by Jharkhand Deputy Inspector General RK Malik, who said his body was found on the Jamshedpur-Ranchi highway around 9 am with a note from the Naxals saying that they could expect more of the same treatment if their demands were not acceded to. They claimed full responsibility for the killing of Enduwar.
DIG Malik said that Enduwar, who was kidnapped by the Maoists five days ago, appeared to have been executed by a method popularly associated with the Taliban.
"He has been beheaded. The body along with the head was recovered near Raisha Ghati under Namkom Police station today, about 12 km from Ranchi," Superintendent of Police (Rural) Hemmant Toppo said.
Enduwar was abducted by Maoists on September 30 in Jharkhand`s Khunti district when he had gone to a local market at around 5.30 pm to make house-hold purchases. The abductors, four in number, forcefully took the inspector with them to the nearby forest area in Hembrom Bazaar region, according to police.
Security forces of two CRPF companies and three companies of Jharkhand Jaguar Force were reportedly carrying out the search operation but the officer remained traceless.
Chidambaram condemns killing
Home Minister P Chidambaram condemned the killing of abducted cop by the Maoists saying, “I condemn this cold blooded murder.”
Reacting to the killing and taking a dig at the Maoists, Chidambaram said, “When we arrest someone we take them to court and not behead them.” The minister, who was talking to a news channel, assured all help to the family of the deceased and said that they (family) will be provided all help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video