Maoists kill policeman in Jharkhand
Ranchi: A policeman was on Tuesday gunned down
by Maoists in Jharkhand`s Sareikela-Kharsawan district as
their 48-hour shutdown entered the second day.
The rebels fired indiscriminately on a police
patrolling team near Chouka police station in Sareikela around
1.30 am, killing a policeman on the spot, police said here.
The policeman was identified as Kalicharan Bodra.
The Maoists melted away into the forests after a
strong retaliatory action by securitymen, police said.
Security forces have launched raids in the area even
as deployment of forces are in place at strategic locations to
keep a strict vigil during the shutdown that ends tonight.
The bandh has so far caused cancellation of many
trains, including the Ranchi-Delhi Garib Rath, Palamau
Express, besides passenger trains for the second consecutive
day, Railway officials said.
Several express trains have been diverted through the
Mugalsarai-Gomo route, they said.
The Maoists are observing the shutdown in Jharkhand,
Bihar, Orissa, West Bengal, Chhatisgarh, Andhra Pradesh and
three districts of Maharashtra to protest anti-Naxal
operations, price rise and arrests of some of their cadres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack