Maoists kill policeman in Jharkhand
Ranchi: A policeman was on Tuesday gunned down
by Maoists in Jharkhand`s Sareikela-Kharsawan district as
their 48-hour shutdown entered the second day.
The rebels fired indiscriminately on a police
patrolling team near Chouka police station in Sareikela around
1.30 am, killing a policeman on the spot, police said here.
The policeman was identified as Kalicharan Bodra.
The Maoists melted away into the forests after a
strong retaliatory action by securitymen, police said.
Security forces have launched raids in the area even
as deployment of forces are in place at strategic locations to
keep a strict vigil during the shutdown that ends tonight.
The bandh has so far caused cancellation of many
trains, including the Ranchi-Delhi Garib Rath, Palamau
Express, besides passenger trains for the second consecutive
day, Railway officials said.
Several express trains have been diverted through the
Mugalsarai-Gomo route, they said.
The Maoists are observing the shutdown in Jharkhand,
Bihar, Orissa, West Bengal, Chhatisgarh, Andhra Pradesh and
three districts of Maharashtra to protest anti-Naxal
operations, price rise and arrests of some of their cadres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof