Maoists take away food for mid-day meal, PDS
Chaibasa: The Maoists were taking away food grains meant for mid-day meal in schools and public distribution system, and even controlling projects under MGNREGA in Naxal-affected areas of West Singhbhum district, a senior police official said on Saturday.
This was revealed during interrogation of an arrested hard-core Maoist, identified as Cherwa, said Pankaj Kamboj, Superintendent of Police.
Cherwa, an influential man in the area and a member of the management committee of a school, said during interrogation that he used to siphon off food grains meant for mid-day meals in the school as well as PDS in his village Banguruia in the district.
As the Maoists had access to block offices in their strong hold areas and could influence a section of government officials, they were able to take out food grains meant for PDS, Kamboj told a press conference here.
The red rebels used this means particularly during anti-Maoist operations when other routes to rations were cut off, he said.
The chairman of Krantikari Kisan Committee, a frontal organisation of the Maoists, Cherwa was arrested from a village in Saranda forest on Wednesday.
Besides, Cherwa and another arrested cadre, Dubi Gudia, used to supervise projects under the MGNREGA, he said.
Both the ultras were rich and possessing 60 to 70 acres of land in Banguruia village, he said.
"We have extracted some vital information during interrogation of Cherwa and verifying them," he said.
Gudia and another ultras were arrested between villages Banguruia and Surgunia in Saranda forest yesterday following interrogation of Cherwa.
The security personnel had also recovered three landmines and two hand grenades, which were defused.
Besides, one rifle, three country-made pistols and cartridges were also recovered, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal