Maoists torch road construction machines, vehicles in Jharkhand
Dumka: The Maoists torched about a dozen machines and dumpers at a construction site in Jharkhand’s Dumka district.
According to witnesses, armed rebels ransacked an arterial road construction site in the wee hours of Friday and summoned the staff comprising of mostly workers from their quarters threatening them of dire consequences if they continued operations.
A senior police official informed mediapersons about the incident and assured of a strict action against the guilty.
"About 20-25 armed rebels in uniforms barged at the site and torched eight dumpers, a tractor and earthmoving vehicle. They also torched the operator`s room. This matter looks linked to levy extraction, as Maoist don`t have any ideology, their organisation now exist only to commit similar crimes," said Hemant Toppo, superintendent of police.
He said that a combing operation for the culprits has been launched in the area while stating that additional police personnel have been deployed at the construction site for the security of the staff.
In the meanwhile fear struck workers have refused to work at the site following the incident.
Some workers complained of apathy from local administration in ensuring their safety.
"We all are scared and no one wants to stay here any longer as there is no protection. Anyone comes takes to violence, we have come from far away places to earn a living, who will be responsible if something happens to us," said Ravindra, a worker and eyewitness.
In the past few years, the rebels have stepped up their efforts against the government after various locals complained that Maoist activities such as extortion, abductions and killing had increased considerably in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday