Marandi fasts in support of Anna
Ranchi: Former chief minister and president of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) Babulal Marandi on Tuesday sat on a 24-hour fast to extend support to Anna Hazare`s demand for a Jan Lokpal Bill.
Marandi, who is also Lok Sabha MP from Jharkhand`s Giridih, sat on a one-day fast in Morabadi ground near Mahatma Gandhi`s statue in Ranchi.
"Our party is in favour of the Jan Lokpal Bill. We strongly want that the office of prime minister should be brought under the Jan Lokpal Bill. There could be a separate bill to make the judicial system accountable," Marandi told reporters.
Another JVM-P Lok Sabha MP, Ajay Kumar, from Jamshedpur, observed a one-day fast in the steel city. Kumar said their party was against the central government`s Lokpal Bill.
In Jharkhand, where scores of scams have taken place, support for Hazare is swelling. The Anna movement is now being witnessed in rural parts of the state as well.
Meanwhile, Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda Tuesday said: "The state government has initiated steps to make the existing Lokayukta Act more stringent."
He added: "Even chief ministers could be included under the Lokayukta. The Lokayukta should be empowered to check corruption prevailing from top to bottom in the government."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India