Marandi fasts in support of Anna
Ranchi: Former chief minister and president of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha-Prajatantrik (JVM-P) Babulal Marandi on Tuesday sat on a 24-hour fast to extend support to Anna Hazare`s demand for a Jan Lokpal Bill.
Marandi, who is also Lok Sabha MP from Jharkhand`s Giridih, sat on a one-day fast in Morabadi ground near Mahatma Gandhi`s statue in Ranchi.
"Our party is in favour of the Jan Lokpal Bill. We strongly want that the office of prime minister should be brought under the Jan Lokpal Bill. There could be a separate bill to make the judicial system accountable," Marandi told reporters.
Another JVM-P Lok Sabha MP, Ajay Kumar, from Jamshedpur, observed a one-day fast in the steel city. Kumar said their party was against the central government`s Lokpal Bill.
In Jharkhand, where scores of scams have taken place, support for Hazare is swelling. The Anna movement is now being witnessed in rural parts of the state as well.
Meanwhile, Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda Tuesday said: "The state government has initiated steps to make the existing Lokayukta Act more stringent."
He added: "Even chief ministers could be included under the Lokayukta. The Lokayukta should be empowered to check corruption prevailing from top to bottom in the government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'