Minor surrendered Maoist now wants to pursue studies
Jamshedpur: One week after having
surrendered before a court in Ghatsila, teenaged Maoist Barun Munda has pleaded before the Jharkhand police to help him pursue studies and claims having been `trapped` by the ultras.
During police interrogation, 14-year-old Barun,
formerly a student of VIth standard at Jamua, expressed his
keen desire to continue studies, the Superintendent of Police
(Rural), Ranjit Prasad said today.
Barun deposed himself before the court of Additional
Chief Judicial Magistrate, Ghatsila a week back and was named
accused in the incidents of killing two persons in Ghatsila
few months back and blowing up of rail tracks near Dalbhumgarh
during the bandh called by the ultra-left outfit early this
The SP said the boy made the unusual request when the
district police took him on a three-day remand for grilling on
Thursday. He was sent back to jail on Friday last.
Prasad said Barun, a resident of Jamua village in the
sub-division, had forcibly been taken away by the Ghorabandha
squad of the outfit.
A nephew of hardcore Maoist Phogra Munda, he was in
the squad for about a year and generally asked to do errands
like carrying their fire-arms, preparing food except on
particular `assignments like murder or act of sabotage on
The boy claimed before the cops that he was lured by
the ultras since he wanted to earn fast bucks `for studies`.
Barun had made up his mind to flee from the group
after the Maoists repeatedly refused to pay him, the SP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?