MNCC chains to gobble up traditional retail: CPI(M
Ranchi: The CPI (M) on Sunday said fledgling
states like Jharkhand would be hit hard if the retail section
was handed over to multi-national retail chains as
traditionally the sector provided largest possible
"The Centre should revoke its decision as one/sixth of
the country’s population depend on the retail network. Once
these multinational retail brands like Walmart set up shops
the traditional retail network would be broken, leaving lakhs
of families in penury," CPI(M) Central Committee member J S
Majumdar said here.
From loading, unloading, transport, wholesale to
village and urban markets, he added, the retail network has
been the backbone of a large part of unorganised sector.
"The purpose of whatever so called steps the
government has been taking to eradicate poverty would be
defeated once the organised sector, having different
yardsticks, gets control of retail market," he predicted.
The CPI (M) and its trade wing CITU would support the
nationwide shutdown on December 1 called by the Confederation
of All India Traders to protest the Centre’s decision
allowing multinational brands in the retail.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living