Most Jharkhand wine traders surrender license to excise
Jamshedpur: To register their protest
against the introduction of multipoint tax system by the
administration, a majority of wine traders of Jharkhand have
surrendered their licenses with the Excise department.
Jharkhand Wine Dealers Association (JWDA) President
Manish Jaiswal said around 80 per cent of around 1500
licensees of foreign liquor traders across Jharkhand have
already lodged petitions with the excise.
All 104 license holding wine traders in the steel city
surrendered their licenses to excise authorities here to
express solidarity with JWDA, Jaiswal said.
Prabhakar Singh, the President of Jamshedpur Wine
Merchant Association as well as President of Jamshedpur
Hotelier’s Association, said all hotels and bars have agreed
to extend their support to JWDA and stop selling the liquor
till their demand was met.
"We have no other option as running our business has
become almost impossible due to the introduction of new tax
system, having almost doubled price of foreign liquor as
compared to adjacent states including Bengal, Jaiswal said.
The sale of foreign liquor has also drastically fallen
ever since the new tax system came into force last week, he
Jaiswal said JWDA have been generating good amount of
revenue for the state government and paid over Rs.300 crore to
Excise and Rs.112 crore in the form of sales tax last year.
The per month sale of foreign liquor in Jharkhand was
over one lakh cases while the sale of beer in the state was
almost 1.5 lakh cases, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley