Munda demands special status for Jharkhand
New Delhi: Observing that 19 out of 24 districts in Jharkhand are affected by Naxalism, Chief Minister Arjun Munda on Thursday made a strong pitch for granting a special status to the tribal state along with a central package to effectively deal with its various problems.
Addressing the 57th National Development Council (NDC) meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Munda said, "The state should be provided with a special central package, without which it will not be able to get rid of the problem of militancy."
He said Naxalism in the state has affected development and has also led to loss of property and lives in the state.
"In Jharkhand where 19 out of 24 districts are affected by militancy, a comprehensive dose of development is needed which will ensure basic necessities to the people who are already suffering from poverty," he said.
Raising the demand for a special status for the state, Munda said, "Jharkhand fulfils all criteria to get the special status. The percentage of temporary houses in rural and urban areas is 19.4 per cent and 74.6 per cent respectively, which is more than those states which have been granted the special status."
He also added that in the fields of drinking water and sanitation, human resource development, electricity and transport, Jharkhand is behind the states with special status.
Supporting Integrated Action Plan (IAP) in its current format, Munda asked the Centre to allocate "special grants" for infrastructure development of districts selected under it.
Stating that Jharkhand fulfils the minerals needs of entire country, Munda pointed out how mining has affected agriculture, leading to displacement of people and making them susceptible to join the Naxal activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming