Munda quotes Amartya Sen, promises food security
Ranchi: Jharkhand government has taken initiatives to provide food security and a dignified life to every citizen, Chief Minister Arjun Munda said after unfurling the National flag to mark the Independence Day here.
"Economist Amartya Sen has said if a person has money to purchase, that person could not be hungry. Keeping this in mind, we are taking food security measures," Munda said.
The government was providing 35 kg rice at Re one to BPL families and 35 kg rice free of cost to primitive tribes, besides spending Rs 409 crore and creating 207 lakh man hours under MGNREGA this fiscal.
About 40 lakh children were being benefited from midday meals, free of cost books and scholarship, he said.
Saying that the government was trying to bring back the `misguided youth` back to the mainstream through a new surrender policy, Munda said 40 assault groups have been set up under `Jharkhand Jaguar`, a special task force, to take on left wing extremism.
To effectively control extremism, he said, four Counter Insurgency and Anti-terrorist School were formed and digital mapping was under way in every district of the state.
An Aviation Wing has also been set up and the reward money for arresting Naxalites increased, he added.
Stating that the state recorded a growth of 12.08 per cent in 2011-12, Munda said Jharkhand emerged first in the country in food production last year.
Munda said the age belonged to the youth and his government has embarked upon setting up education hub, technical education hub and skill development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened