Murder convict inspector promoted in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The Jharkhand police department has promoted an inspector, who was convicted for murdering a school teacher, to the rank of a deputy superintendent of police.
Bhagwan Prasad was convicted by a Central Bureau of Investigation court last year for killing Ranjana Palit. Prasad, who had an illicit relationship with Palit, burnt her to death fearing that she may expose him.
Prasad has been cooling his heels in the Birsa Munda Central Jail here since the judgment. However, his name figured in the list of promotions issued early this month.
After promotion, Prasad has been posted in the special branch of the police department.
"The promotion was a mistake as the police inspector has not been sacked from his post. The bulk promotions of police inspectors was done and the name of Bhagwan Prasad could not be scrutinised," an official in the police headquarters said.
"We will soon initiate the process of terminating services of the convicted inspector," the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees