Murder convict inspector promoted in Jharkhand
Ranchi: The Jharkhand police department has promoted an inspector, who was convicted for murdering a school teacher, to the rank of a deputy superintendent of police.
Bhagwan Prasad was convicted by a Central Bureau of Investigation court last year for killing Ranjana Palit. Prasad, who had an illicit relationship with Palit, burnt her to death fearing that she may expose him.
Prasad has been cooling his heels in the Birsa Munda Central Jail here since the judgment. However, his name figured in the list of promotions issued early this month.
After promotion, Prasad has been posted in the special branch of the police department.
"The promotion was a mistake as the police inspector has not been sacked from his post. The bulk promotions of police inspectors was done and the name of Bhagwan Prasad could not be scrutinised," an official in the police headquarters said.
"We will soon initiate the process of terminating services of the convicted inspector," the police official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma