Murder of Jharkhand student: Eight arrested
Chennai: Eight students have been arrested in connection with the murder of an engineering student from Jharkhand and special teams formed to nab 12 more in a case of group rivalry over payment of commission for engineering seats in some private engineering colleges in the state, police said.
`We have arrested eight out of the 20 accused in connection with the murder (of Nirbhay Kumar Singh). Special teams have been formed to trace the others who are absconding,` KN Murali, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) told rerporters.
The arrested and the other accused hail from Bihar and Jharkhand, he said, adding they were students of a particular engineering college in the city.
On Monday, Singh (21) was allegedly killed by a group of students belonging to another engineering college over a dispute on admitting students in some private engineering
colleges in the state for a commission in which they were involved.
Singh was attacked with iron bars and was declared brought dead at a private hospital.
This is the second such instance where two groups of North Indian students have clashed over the said issue. a few months back, a student was kidnapped by a rival gang fearing that he could be a competitor to them in the commission business.
The victim, son of an IAS officer, was rescued by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'