Murder of Jharkhand student: Eight arrested
Chennai: Eight students have been arrested in connection with the murder of an engineering student from Jharkhand and special teams formed to nab 12 more in a case of group rivalry over payment of commission for engineering seats in some private engineering colleges in the state, police said.
`We have arrested eight out of the 20 accused in connection with the murder (of Nirbhay Kumar Singh). Special teams have been formed to trace the others who are absconding,` KN Murali, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) told rerporters.
The arrested and the other accused hail from Bihar and Jharkhand, he said, adding they were students of a particular engineering college in the city.
On Monday, Singh (21) was allegedly killed by a group of students belonging to another engineering college over a dispute on admitting students in some private engineering
colleges in the state for a commission in which they were involved.
Singh was attacked with iron bars and was declared brought dead at a private hospital.
This is the second such instance where two groups of North Indian students have clashed over the said issue. a few months back, a student was kidnapped by a rival gang fearing that he could be a competitor to them in the commission business.
The victim, son of an IAS officer, was rescued by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary