Murder of Jharkhand student: Eight arrested
Chennai: Eight students have been arrested in connection with the murder of an engineering student from Jharkhand and special teams formed to nab 12 more in a case of group rivalry over payment of commission for engineering seats in some private engineering colleges in the state, police said.
`We have arrested eight out of the 20 accused in connection with the murder (of Nirbhay Kumar Singh). Special teams have been formed to trace the others who are absconding,` KN Murali, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) told rerporters.
The arrested and the other accused hail from Bihar and Jharkhand, he said, adding they were students of a particular engineering college in the city.
On Monday, Singh (21) was allegedly killed by a group of students belonging to another engineering college over a dispute on admitting students in some private engineering
colleges in the state for a commission in which they were involved.
Singh was attacked with iron bars and was declared brought dead at a private hospital.
This is the second such instance where two groups of North Indian students have clashed over the said issue. a few months back, a student was kidnapped by a rival gang fearing that he could be a competitor to them in the commission business.
The victim, son of an IAS officer, was rescued by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal