New chief justice of Jharkhand HC
New Delhi: Justice R Bhanumati was on Tuesday appointed as Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court.
Justice Bhanumati (58) was so far a judge of the Madras High Court.
As a district judge, she had dealt with number of landmark cases and also headed one-man commission on police excess by STF in Chinnampathy village in Coimbatore district in 1995-1996.
She was elevated as judge of the Madras High Court in April, 2003 when she dealt with many important cases including a ban on Jallikattu or bull fight. The verdict paved the way for formulating regulations relating to Jallikattu.
She will take over from Justice Dhirubhai Naranbhai Patel, who was nominated as Acting Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court in August.
The Law Ministry here also announced the elevation of additional judges -- Justices Bijoor Manohar, Hosahalli Sheshadri Kempanna and B S Indrakala -- as judges of Karnataka High Court.
In the Chhattisgarh High Court, the tenure of Additional Judges Prashant Kumar Mishra and Manindra Mohan Shrivastava has been extended for a period of two more years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video