New chief justice of Jharkhand HC
New Delhi: Justice R Bhanumati was on Tuesday appointed as Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court.
Justice Bhanumati (58) was so far a judge of the Madras High Court.
As a district judge, she had dealt with number of landmark cases and also headed one-man commission on police excess by STF in Chinnampathy village in Coimbatore district in 1995-1996.
She was elevated as judge of the Madras High Court in April, 2003 when she dealt with many important cases including a ban on Jallikattu or bull fight. The verdict paved the way for formulating regulations relating to Jallikattu.
She will take over from Justice Dhirubhai Naranbhai Patel, who was nominated as Acting Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court in August.
The Law Ministry here also announced the elevation of additional judges -- Justices Bijoor Manohar, Hosahalli Sheshadri Kempanna and B S Indrakala -- as judges of Karnataka High Court.
In the Chhattisgarh High Court, the tenure of Additional Judges Prashant Kumar Mishra and Manindra Mohan Shrivastava has been extended for a period of two more years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bihar flood toll rises to 22; 17 lakh people in 10 districts affected
- VIDEO! History-maker Kusal Mendis hits six to complete his century against Australia
- ISRO rocket launch postponed in wake of missing IAF aircraft search!
- What a talent! 'Kar chale hum fida' patriotic song by this street singer will give you goosebumps - WATCH
- Migrant arrivals inch up after failed Turkey coup: Greece