New political equation may emerge in J’khand: Cong
Jamshedpur: Congress` Jharkhand unit president and newly elected Rajya Sabha MP Pradip Kumar Balmuchu on Saturday hinted a new political equation could emerge in the state after the result of the May three biennial election.
"I do not rule out such a possibility (new political equation) as differences between allies of both the ruling and opposition camps have widened during the Rajya Sabha poll," Balmuchu told a press conference.
Had it not been so, he said, Independent MLAs Chamra Linda and Bidesh Singh would not have voted for him.
Linda and Singh had assured the BJP to vote for its candidate S S Ahuluwalia but the ruling coalition seemed to have failed to keep its promises made to them, leading to their change of mind, Balmuchu claimed.
Former BJP Chief Minister Babulal Marandi-led Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik) (JVM) had fielded its candidate in the countermanded March 30 RS poll but backed out in the re-election held on May 3, he said.
Similarly, BJP did not field its candidate in the March 30 poll for lack of numbers but decided to contest on May 3 poll with the same number of MLAs in the house, he said.
A 2009 assembly poll ally of the Congress, JVM has been in a love-hate relation with it since then. Eleven members of the JVM and the lone MLA of CPI(ML-Liberation) abstained from voting on May 3.
By abstaining, JVM supported the BJP indirectly, Balmuchu said adding Marandi would accept the chief minister`s post, had the offer come from BJP now, Balmuchu claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered