NGO running self-sufficient village economy model
Bishunpur: Creating a model for self-sufficient rural economic enterprise, an NGO runs a workshop which provides direct employment to 700 people at Bishunpur in Gumla district, about 120 km from Ranchi.
Vikas Bharati, the NGO, trains people in making figurines and statues made of earth, bitumen and powder of seeds of a plant.
Septuagenarian siblings Sibal Malar and Udal Malar are among 200 workers at Vikas Bharati, fondly called `ashram` by the workers, painstakingly make statues which are in great demand, Mahendra Bhagat, the treasurer of the NGO, said.
Pailas, the unique weight system prevailed during the primitive period, are also made by them. These are silver-quoted bowls made of earth and other substances weighing 250 grams, 500 grams and one kg, which are still prevalent among the tribals, using them for selling grains and lentils.
Bhagat says that new batches are introduced every three weeks, but a few like the Malars are a permanent feature in the institution.
The NGO has also engaged men in the age-old method of extracting and processing iron.
“They (workmen) are learning the ways to assemble two slugs (pieces of iron weighing 250 grams) and in the process preserving an age old tradition of extracting as well as processing iron from the ore through the traditional method,” Pankaj K Singh, the engineer working with the NGO, said.
The men are trained to make rust-resistant replicas of statutes out of these slugs, Singh said adding they have received an order to make one lakh statues from the iron slugs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened