NHRC seeks report from Jharkhand in four weeks
New Delhi: Taking suo motu cognisance of reported large number of women dying during childbirth due to lack of medical assistance in Godda district of Jharkhand, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday directed the state government to submit a report within four weeks.
"The press report, if true, raises a serious issue of violation of right to health of women in Jharkhand," said a senior NHRC official.
A media report has claimed that due to lack of medical assistance for women in advanced stages of pregnancy in Santhali villages in Godda, several pregnant women die every year. Most of the pregnant women in villages of the district have severe iron deficiency leading to problem in blood clotting and uterus contraction, which causes death, said the official.
According to the media report, most of the Santhali and Pahariya families in Jharkhand reportedly survive on rice and potatoes and the state government has stopped the distribution of Iron and Folic Acid supplement tablets, which plays a major role in overcoming iron deficiency, after the central government halted their supply.
"The report further stated that 46 per cent of all deliveries take place at sub-centres in villages, which also lack infrastructure, ambulances and staff, putting women at risk. The hospital at District Headquarter, with only 40 beds and two ambulances, caters to a population of 13 lakh people. It also neither has proper infrastructure to deal with the complicated cases nor any blood bank," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145