Nine Maoists killed in Jharkhand
Ranchi: At least nine Maoist guerrillas were killed in a gunbattle with security forces in Jharkhand`s Latehar district early Friday, police said.
"We got information about Maoists` presence in Barwadih jungle late Thursday. Police forces surrounded the jungle and asked Maoists to surrender. The rebels started firing against the police and the encounter lasted till early morning," Kuldip Dwivedi, Superintendent of Police, told a news agency.
"We have recovered nine bodies of Maoists along with a huge quantity of arms and ammunition," Dwivedi said adding that the search operation is still on in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred