Obstructionist stand stalling development in Jharkhand: Speaker
Ranchi: Jharkhand Assembly Speaker Shashank Sekhar Bhokta on Monday regretted that an obstructionist stand by certain sections had been stalling the state`s development ever since the state was created 14 years ago.
"Not only the proposed construction of a building to house the state Assembly, but also any new work in the state faces obstruction as people come up with spades (anti-displacement agitations)," Bhokta told reporters here.
Expressing disappointment at the recent protests by a section of people at the allotted site here allowing not even a brick being laid, he said TMC MLA Bandhu Tirkey and AJSU Party MLA Naveen Jaiswal did not turn up for a meeting today on the matter.
Bandhu Tirkey has demanded return of 25 per cent of the acquired land (to the land owners), Bhokta said.
Tirkey in response said he could not attend the meeting as he was out of the state capital, but maintained that construction should begin only before addressing the demands of the land-owners.
"What package the government is giving to the land owners? Is it under the latest the Land Acquisition Act?" Tirkey demanded to know, wondering why land was allegedly being allotted for construction of other buildings by private parties.
"Naveen Jaiswal and I wrote a letter to the Speaker requesting an audience with him over the issue. But the speaker replied that it was not in his jurisdiction," Tirkey claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!