One killed in Jharkhand clash; CM orders judicial probe
Ranchi: One person was killed and 12 others were injured when police and protesting workers of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric-JVM) clashed here on Monday, prompting Chief Minister Arjun Munda to order a judicial probe into the incident.
Inspector General of Police M S Bhatia said the person died when he came under a vehicle during the clash.
Earlier, City SP Vipul Shukla said a stampede like situation followed when police started baton charge and burst tear gas shells and the man was crushed to death under a barricade as they climbed on it to flee the spot.
While the SP said it was not yet clear whether the man was a protestor or a bystander, JVM (P) president Babulal Marandi claimed he was a party activist who had participated in the `peaceful` agitation when the police used force.
To ascertain the exact sequences leading to the incident, the chief minister ordered a judicial probe, an official release said.
The police had barricaded at four places leading to the state assembly and secretariat, and trouble erupted near the barricade put up near the DPS School, about three km from the Assembly, the police said.
JVM (P) was scheduled to march to the secretariat en route the assembly to build up pressure on the Munda government on its charter of demands, including addressing the burning displacement issue.
In a coordinated movement, JVM MLAs stalled the entire day of the Assembly proceedings.
Noting that the loss of life and injury to many in today`s incident were unfortunate, ruling Jharkhand BJP president Dineshanand Goswami demanded that the Centre grant special package to rehabilitate the displaced populace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family