One killed, several injured in police firing in Ranchi
Ranchi: One person was killed on Tuesday and
a dozen injured when police opened fire on protesters opposing
an anti-encroachment drive near Islamnagar here. While Union
Minister Subodh Kant Sahai was arrested for staging a
demonstration, the Congress has called for a bandh on Thursday
to protest the firing.
"The police opened fire after a mob threw crude bombs
and stones injuring seven policemen. One person killed in
firing," Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen Kumar, said to a news agency.
The minister who was protesting the anti-encroachment
drive for the last few days and was on a sit-in since 10:00 am
was arrested, the SSP said.
Sahay claimed that the fatality of the firing was a
boy who was sitting before him. "I was shocked," he said
adding that the police also damaged five cars in which his
supporters had accompanied him.
"Since I am a Union minister, I thought someone
(officials) will brief me about it, but the police resorted to
barbaric action instead."
His assistant, Ravikant Kapoor, claimed that the
minister and several of his supporters were injured in the
The anti-encroachment drive was taken up at the
directive of the Jharkhand High Court.
Earlier, Sahay said he had spoken to Chief Secretary S
K Choudhary yesterday urging him not to go ahead with the
demolition drive before making alternative arrangements.
JPCC General Secretary Sailesh Sinha condemned the
firing and accused the government of conspiracy in arresting
the Union minister.
The Congress announced a dawn-to-dusk Ranchi bandh on
Thursday in protest against the police firing and lathicharge
on demonstrators, including Congress leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow