One killed, several injured in police firing in Ranchi
Ranchi: One person was killed on Tuesday and
a dozen injured when police opened fire on protesters opposing
an anti-encroachment drive near Islamnagar here. While Union
Minister Subodh Kant Sahai was arrested for staging a
demonstration, the Congress has called for a bandh on Thursday
to protest the firing.
"The police opened fire after a mob threw crude bombs
and stones injuring seven policemen. One person killed in
firing," Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen Kumar, said to a news agency.
The minister who was protesting the anti-encroachment
drive for the last few days and was on a sit-in since 10:00 am
was arrested, the SSP said.
Sahay claimed that the fatality of the firing was a
boy who was sitting before him. "I was shocked," he said
adding that the police also damaged five cars in which his
supporters had accompanied him.
"Since I am a Union minister, I thought someone
(officials) will brief me about it, but the police resorted to
barbaric action instead."
His assistant, Ravikant Kapoor, claimed that the
minister and several of his supporters were injured in the
The anti-encroachment drive was taken up at the
directive of the Jharkhand High Court.
Earlier, Sahay said he had spoken to Chief Secretary S
K Choudhary yesterday urging him not to go ahead with the
demolition drive before making alternative arrangements.
JPCC General Secretary Sailesh Sinha condemned the
firing and accused the government of conspiracy in arresting
the Union minister.
The Congress announced a dawn-to-dusk Ranchi bandh on
Thursday in protest against the police firing and lathicharge
on demonstrators, including Congress leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly