Panchayat elections in Jharkhand likely by May
Ranchi: Panchayat elections in Jharkhand are
likely to be held by May this year, a senior official said
"Panchayat elections are most likely to be held by May
2010. The state government is going to start pre-poll training
for Panchayati Raj functionaries," Secretary, Department of
Panchyati Raj, S K Satpathy said.
Satpathy, who was speaking on the last day of the
three-day state-level assembly of women at Itki, about 30 km
from here, said women should come forward with the demand for
"The demand for the 50 per cent reservation should come
from women per se," he said.
Calling upon the women to actively demand their legal
rights and entitlements under various government programmes
like NREGA, Satpathy said this would bring the desired change
in empowering women legally and politically.
The Director of state Panchayati Raj, Ganesh Prasad
advocated the need for elections to the three-tier panchayat
system for effective implementation of welfare schemes.
Jharkhand High Court judge, Justice M Y Eqbal said
abolishing witchcraft should be the top most priority of all
the stakeholders of the society. The programme was held by
Rural Litigation and Entitlement Kendra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!