Panchayat elections in Jharkhand likely by May
Ranchi: Panchayat elections in Jharkhand are
likely to be held by May this year, a senior official said
"Panchayat elections are most likely to be held by May
2010. The state government is going to start pre-poll training
for Panchayati Raj functionaries," Secretary, Department of
Panchyati Raj, S K Satpathy said.
Satpathy, who was speaking on the last day of the
three-day state-level assembly of women at Itki, about 30 km
from here, said women should come forward with the demand for
"The demand for the 50 per cent reservation should come
from women per se," he said.
Calling upon the women to actively demand their legal
rights and entitlements under various government programmes
like NREGA, Satpathy said this would bring the desired change
in empowering women legally and politically.
The Director of state Panchayati Raj, Ganesh Prasad
advocated the need for elections to the three-tier panchayat
system for effective implementation of welfare schemes.
Jharkhand High Court judge, Justice M Y Eqbal said
abolishing witchcraft should be the top most priority of all
the stakeholders of the society. The programme was held by
Rural Litigation and Entitlement Kendra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'