Panchayat elections in Jharkhand likely by May
Ranchi: Panchayat elections in Jharkhand are
likely to be held by May this year, a senior official said
"Panchayat elections are most likely to be held by May
2010. The state government is going to start pre-poll training
for Panchayati Raj functionaries," Secretary, Department of
Panchyati Raj, S K Satpathy said.
Satpathy, who was speaking on the last day of the
three-day state-level assembly of women at Itki, about 30 km
from here, said women should come forward with the demand for
"The demand for the 50 per cent reservation should come
from women per se," he said.
Calling upon the women to actively demand their legal
rights and entitlements under various government programmes
like NREGA, Satpathy said this would bring the desired change
in empowering women legally and politically.
The Director of state Panchayati Raj, Ganesh Prasad
advocated the need for elections to the three-tier panchayat
system for effective implementation of welfare schemes.
Jharkhand High Court judge, Justice M Y Eqbal said
abolishing witchcraft should be the top most priority of all
the stakeholders of the society. The programme was held by
Rural Litigation and Entitlement Kendra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- Bihar polls: Wave in favour of BJP, will form next government, says Mulayam Singh Yadav