‘Panchayat polls big achievement of Jharkhand Govt
Ranchi: As his government completes one
year in office, Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda said that elections to the three-tier panchayat after a gap of 32 years
was one of the biggest achievements of his government.
"Over 50,000 people`s representatives were elected at the
lowest level," he said.
Immediately after the panchayat elections, the state
government successfully organised the 34th National Games, he
Munda said in the very first year work started on good
quality roads at a cost of over Rs 2500 crore. Besides roads,
43 irrigation projects were also taken up.
Also taken up was the long pending Rs 6500 crore
multi-purpose Swarnrekha project, he said.
The state was providing 20 kg of rice to BPL families at the rate of Rs 1 per kg per month since February-2011 as per
announcement, he said rubbishing claims by the opposition
Congress and JVM(P) that the government had failed to
implement the scheme.
Munda claimed that before his government took over,
Jharkhand was mired in corruption and the state machinery had
"Under Governor`s Rule there was no accountability of the
government at any level. The Assembly was kept under suspended
animation, there was no local body or panchayat, where the
people could go and complain about their problems and get them
"There was a complete vacuum and lack of accountable
government authorities at all the levels in the state," Munda
He said the sole purpose of the opposition parties was to
`destabilise` his government and achieve their vested
interests as the Congress did by installing the Madhu Koda
government in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued