PM seeks report on Jharkhand demolitions
Ranchi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has sought a report about the ongoing demolition drive in Jharkhand.
"I raised the demolition issue in the central cabinet meeting Thursday. The prime minister has asked Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Home Minister P Chidamabaram to seek a report from the governor," Subodh Kant Sahay, union tourism minister and Lok Sabha member from Ranchi, told reporters here Friday.
According to reliable sources, Governor M.O.H. Farook has apprised the union home minister about the prevailing situation in Jharkhand.
The ongoing state-wide demolition drive under the directive of Jharkhand High Court has claimed 13 lives and rendered more than 1.20 lakh people homeless.
Seven people, five in Dhanbad and two in Ranchi, were killed in police firing during anti-demolition protests. Also, Six people have died due to shock after they were served notices.
Jharkhand Congress in-charge Shakeel Ahmad told reporters: "The situation is not good in the state. The state is heading towards president`s rule. The Arjun Munda government has turned insensitive and is killing people in the name of demolition."
He said it is the responsibility of the governor to send reports on the developments to the central government.
Shibu Soren, chief of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), alliance partner of the Bharatiya Janata Party-led state government, should also make his stand clear on the ongoing demolition drive, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly