Police arrest Maoists leader in Jharkhand
Jharkhand: Based on intelligence inputs, police arrested a Maoists leader in Jharkhand`s Latehar district recently.
Superintendent of Police Michael Raj said his team raided a hideout and recovered five rifles, 73 cartridges, and other goods from a hideout after interrogating the arrested Maoist leader.
"He revealed in his statement the whereabouts of the arms. On that basis, five rifles, 73 cartridges, 40 metres of police uniform and other goods were recovered," said Raj.
Maoists say they are fighting for the rights of millions of landless and poor labourers and marginal farmers.
They have killed police and politicians, and damaged government buildings and railway besides killing thousands of people since the 1960s. They are estimated to number around 7000 hardcore fighters in nearly a third of 630 districts and have spread out in 20 of 28 states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US