Police claim to have shot dead four naxalites in Latehar
Latehar (Jharkhand): The police on Saturday claimed to have shot dead four naxalites during an hour-long gun battle near Gurdag village in Latehar district.
Getting a tip-off that some extremists had assembled near the village, CRPF personnel and the district police cornered them and in the ensuring encounter four naxalites were killed around 11 am, Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar told reporters here.
The villagers told the police about seeing the dead being carried away by the retreating naxalites, the SP said.
The police suspect that the killed persons belonged to either the CPI (Maoist) or its breakaway group Jharkhand Prastuti Committee (1) as the two outfits operate in those areas.
Three rifles, 33 cartridges, Rs 2,500 and some other materials were recovered from the encounter spot, the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too