Police claim to have shot dead four naxalites in Latehar
Latehar (Jharkhand): The police on Saturday claimed to have shot dead four naxalites during an hour-long gun battle near Gurdag village in Latehar district.
Getting a tip-off that some extremists had assembled near the village, CRPF personnel and the district police cornered them and in the ensuring encounter four naxalites were killed around 11 am, Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar told reporters here.
The villagers told the police about seeing the dead being carried away by the retreating naxalites, the SP said.
The police suspect that the killed persons belonged to either the CPI (Maoist) or its breakaway group Jharkhand Prastuti Committee (1) as the two outfits operate in those areas.
Three rifles, 33 cartridges, Rs 2,500 and some other materials were recovered from the encounter spot, the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months