Police claim to have shot dead four naxalites in Latehar
Latehar (Jharkhand): The police on Saturday claimed to have shot dead four naxalites during an hour-long gun battle near Gurdag village in Latehar district.
Getting a tip-off that some extremists had assembled near the village, CRPF personnel and the district police cornered them and in the ensuring encounter four naxalites were killed around 11 am, Latehar Superintendent of Police Kranti Kumar told reporters here.
The villagers told the police about seeing the dead being carried away by the retreating naxalites, the SP said.
The police suspect that the killed persons belonged to either the CPI (Maoist) or its breakaway group Jharkhand Prastuti Committee (1) as the two outfits operate in those areas.
Three rifles, 33 cartridges, Rs 2,500 and some other materials were recovered from the encounter spot, the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman