Police fire in air to control mob at fair in Jharkhand
Jamshedpur: A stampede-like situation prevailed at a Tusu mela, a major festival of tribals in Jharkhand on Monday when police fired several shots in the air following an altercation in Jadugora today.
The incident occurred when a large number of people took part in a fair organised to celebrate Tusu mela.
DSP (Law and order) Kanhaiya Upadhyay told PTI that it was yet to be ascertained how many shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob.
A large number of people staged a demonstration to demand action against the erring policemen, Upadhyay, who reached the spot, said.
Sources said an altercation with the police started over gambling on the fair ground. A crowd protested and the police resorted to lathi-charge, leading the villagers to retaliate by pelting stones at them.
Apprehending that the situation would turn worse, the police started firing in the air to disperse the mob who damaged the police vehicle, the police said.
There was no report of any injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love