Police fire in air to control mob at fair in Jharkhand
Jamshedpur: A stampede-like situation prevailed at a Tusu mela, a major festival of tribals in Jharkhand on Monday when police fired several shots in the air following an altercation in Jadugora today.
The incident occurred when a large number of people took part in a fair organised to celebrate Tusu mela.
DSP (Law and order) Kanhaiya Upadhyay told PTI that it was yet to be ascertained how many shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob.
A large number of people staged a demonstration to demand action against the erring policemen, Upadhyay, who reached the spot, said.
Sources said an altercation with the police started over gambling on the fair ground. A crowd protested and the police resorted to lathi-charge, leading the villagers to retaliate by pelting stones at them.
Apprehending that the situation would turn worse, the police started firing in the air to disperse the mob who damaged the police vehicle, the police said.
There was no report of any injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29