Police fire in air to control mob at fair in Jharkhand
Jamshedpur: A stampede-like situation prevailed at a Tusu mela, a major festival of tribals in Jharkhand on Monday when police fired several shots in the air following an altercation in Jadugora today.
The incident occurred when a large number of people took part in a fair organised to celebrate Tusu mela.
DSP (Law and order) Kanhaiya Upadhyay told PTI that it was yet to be ascertained how many shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob.
A large number of people staged a demonstration to demand action against the erring policemen, Upadhyay, who reached the spot, said.
Sources said an altercation with the police started over gambling on the fair ground. A crowd protested and the police resorted to lathi-charge, leading the villagers to retaliate by pelting stones at them.
Apprehending that the situation would turn worse, the police started firing in the air to disperse the mob who damaged the police vehicle, the police said.
There was no report of any injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested