Police fire in air to control mob at fair in Jharkhand
Jamshedpur: A stampede-like situation prevailed at a Tusu mela, a major festival of tribals in Jharkhand on Monday when police fired several shots in the air following an altercation in Jadugora today.
The incident occurred when a large number of people took part in a fair organised to celebrate Tusu mela.
DSP (Law and order) Kanhaiya Upadhyay told PTI that it was yet to be ascertained how many shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob.
A large number of people staged a demonstration to demand action against the erring policemen, Upadhyay, who reached the spot, said.
Sources said an altercation with the police started over gambling on the fair ground. A crowd protested and the police resorted to lathi-charge, leading the villagers to retaliate by pelting stones at them.
Apprehending that the situation would turn worse, the police started firing in the air to disperse the mob who damaged the police vehicle, the police said.
There was no report of any injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180