Police fire in air to control mob at fair in Jharkhand
Jamshedpur: A stampede-like situation prevailed at a Tusu mela, a major festival of tribals in Jharkhand on Monday when police fired several shots in the air following an altercation in Jadugora today.
The incident occurred when a large number of people took part in a fair organised to celebrate Tusu mela.
DSP (Law and order) Kanhaiya Upadhyay told PTI that it was yet to be ascertained how many shots were fired in the air to disperse the mob.
A large number of people staged a demonstration to demand action against the erring policemen, Upadhyay, who reached the spot, said.
Sources said an altercation with the police started over gambling on the fair ground. A crowd protested and the police resorted to lathi-charge, leading the villagers to retaliate by pelting stones at them.
Apprehending that the situation would turn worse, the police started firing in the air to disperse the mob who damaged the police vehicle, the police said.
There was no report of any injury, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you