Police, protesters clash in Ranchi; one killed
Ranchi: A bystander was killed and 12 others were injured when police and protesting workers of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric-JVM) clashed Tuesday, prompting Chief Minister Arjun Munda to order a judicial probe into the incident.
"A by-stander died by accident under a vehicle," Ranchi Senior Superintendent of Police Saket Kumar Singh, who was present during the violence said.
Earlier, City SP Vipul Shukla said a stampede like situation followed when police started baton charge and burst tear gas shells and the man was crushed to death under a barricade as they climbed on it to flee the spot.
To ascertain the exact sequences leading to the incident, the chief minister ordered a judicial probe, an official release said.
The police had barricaded at four places leading to the state assembly and secretariat, and trouble erupted near the barricade put up near the DPS School, about three km from the Assembly, the police said.
JVM (P) was scheduled to march to the secretariat en route the assembly to build up pressure on the Munda government on its charter of demands, including addressing the burning displacement issue.
In a coordinated movement, JVM MLAs stalled the entire day of Assembly proceedings.
Terming the loss of life and injury to many in today`s incident as unfortunate, ruling Jharkhand BJP President Dineshanand Goswami demanded that the Centre grant special package to rehabilitate the displaced populace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu