Police, protesters clash in Ranchi; one killed
Ranchi: A bystander was killed and 12 others were injured when police and protesting workers of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric-JVM) clashed Tuesday, prompting Chief Minister Arjun Munda to order a judicial probe into the incident.
"A by-stander died by accident under a vehicle," Ranchi Senior Superintendent of Police Saket Kumar Singh, who was present during the violence said.
Earlier, City SP Vipul Shukla said a stampede like situation followed when police started baton charge and burst tear gas shells and the man was crushed to death under a barricade as they climbed on it to flee the spot.
To ascertain the exact sequences leading to the incident, the chief minister ordered a judicial probe, an official release said.
The police had barricaded at four places leading to the state assembly and secretariat, and trouble erupted near the barricade put up near the DPS School, about three km from the Assembly, the police said.
JVM (P) was scheduled to march to the secretariat en route the assembly to build up pressure on the Munda government on its charter of demands, including addressing the burning displacement issue.
In a coordinated movement, JVM MLAs stalled the entire day of Assembly proceedings.
Terming the loss of life and injury to many in today`s incident as unfortunate, ruling Jharkhand BJP President Dineshanand Goswami demanded that the Centre grant special package to rehabilitate the displaced populace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27