Police, protesters clash in Ranchi; one killed
Ranchi: A bystander was killed and 12 others were injured when police and protesting workers of the Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric-JVM) clashed Tuesday, prompting Chief Minister Arjun Munda to order a judicial probe into the incident.
"A by-stander died by accident under a vehicle," Ranchi Senior Superintendent of Police Saket Kumar Singh, who was present during the violence said.
Earlier, City SP Vipul Shukla said a stampede like situation followed when police started baton charge and burst tear gas shells and the man was crushed to death under a barricade as they climbed on it to flee the spot.
To ascertain the exact sequences leading to the incident, the chief minister ordered a judicial probe, an official release said.
The police had barricaded at four places leading to the state assembly and secretariat, and trouble erupted near the barricade put up near the DPS School, about three km from the Assembly, the police said.
JVM (P) was scheduled to march to the secretariat en route the assembly to build up pressure on the Munda government on its charter of demands, including addressing the burning displacement issue.
In a coordinated movement, JVM MLAs stalled the entire day of Assembly proceedings.
Terming the loss of life and injury to many in today`s incident as unfortunate, ruling Jharkhand BJP President Dineshanand Goswami demanded that the Centre grant special package to rehabilitate the displaced populace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH