Political mobilisation needed to weaken Naxals: Ramesh
Latehar: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Sunday suggested stepping up of political mobilisation of people in remote areas to weaken Naxals in their strongholds.
"Political mobilisation is necessary. If political mobilisation is weak, naxals can become strong. Wherever the mobilisation is strong naxals are weak," the Union Rural Development minister told PTI here.
Ramesh, who is on a three-day visit of naxal-affected districts to monitor rural development works, advised political workers to spread all over the districts, even in the forest areas.
"Another element is that tribals should feel that they are a part of the development by implementing laws," he said.
Asking Jharkhand to utilise maximum funds in the demand- driven MGNREGA this fiscal, Ramesh said states like Jharkhand, Odisha and Bihar should utilise more funds.
Latehar and West Singhbhum districts have done a "reasonable job" in construction of 79,000 dug-wells under MGNREGA schemes, he said security operations against naxalism, sustained development in the rural areas could also weed out the left-wing extremists.
Referring to Saranda Action Plan in West Singhbhum and Saryu Action Plan in Latehar, Ramesh said, "People did not use to come up with their grievances. But now they are more vocal and opening up."
Later, Latehar Deputy Commissioner Aradhana Patnaik presented Saryu Area Development Action Plan to the minister.
Ramesh announced that funds would be released this week for building 5,000 houses under Indira Awas Yojana, 26 roads under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana and watershed programmes under the plan covering Bendi, Nawagarh and Tarwadi panchayats of the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi